Sweet Sandy B. Bakes

If we are ever to enjoy life, now is the time. Not tomorrow or next year... Today should always be our most wonderful day...

So, let's eat cake!

Notes on my adventure as a mom and baker and life as Sweet Sandy B...

Monday, February 15, 2010

Wow Wow Wubbzy schooled me

I went to bed last night before 9 pm... haven't done that in a while and my alarm still came too early this morning. I worked on that cake for about 15 hours total I think over the past week and a half. Wubbzy schooled me for sure.

**Lessons learned:

1) It's ok to make a simpler cake than you imagined. It relieves a lot of stress
2) Make the gum paste figures at least 5 days to a week in advance. They really need the time to harden
3) The microwave is your friend when mixing colors into the gumpaste. Just a few seconds is all you need and it saves you SO MUCH time kneading.
4) Homemade gumpaste and fondant is not hard to make at all. It's almost laughable how easy it is and much much cheaper than buying it pre-made. And it tastes better.
5) Wear gloves when coloring the gumpaste/fondant.
6) You don't need to use edible glue, water works well too.
7) A turn table is a God send.
8) You never know how much you take your fridge for granted until it dies on you.
9) Youtube has a WEALTH of knowledge on cake decorating. It's inspiring and humbling to see how talented people are. wow...

I have two cakes coming up this week. #1's birthday is coming up and so is his Oma's. I'm unsure if I will take another stab at the Yo Gabba Gabba cake or if i will try something new (Cars possibly? Monster trucks??). Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment