Sweet Sandy B. Bakes

If we are ever to enjoy life, now is the time. Not tomorrow or next year... Today should always be our most wonderful day...

So, let's eat cake!

Notes on my adventure as a mom and baker and life as Sweet Sandy B...

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

carrots are veggies and veggies are good for you.. carrot cake is better though

To celebrate the Spring and Easter I wanted to make Carrot Cake. And my trusty ol' Pioneer Woman, Ree had a recipe that seemed easy. She also used the word "faint" in the description and I'm all about fainting as a result of good food.
My intent was to make it for the family I was spending Easter afternoon with (my Bestie's family), but that didn't happen. SO I had this HUGE sack of carrots and a handful of packages of cream cheese that I still needed to use on Monday. I didn't have a choice in the matter- this cake was going to be made.

Ree was right. It apparently IS material for fainting. It got such good reviews I had to make it twice. You heard me- TWICE. The employees of both Schaefer & Bierlein and Citizens Insurance got a taste of it and I don't know what it is about this recipe, but I haven't received this much positive feedback on a cake before. It was a simple cake with simple ingredients...

I promise I took some good pictures. But I lost them in the download process :( so, here are the ones I DO have...

This is the cake right before I popped in the oven... it holds 2 cups of carrots- no raisins, no pineapple, no nuts.. CARROTS (also, see the perimeter of the pyrex dish? I buttered the HECK out of this and floured it pretty good too. DO THIS if you want to serve it on a platter, not out of the pyrex.. learned that after the first go-round).




K, this is the cup of pecans I chopped for the frosting. I'm not usually a pecan person, but DO THIS. Pecans in the frosting = amazing.



This is the frosting sitting and waiting to be used on the cooling cake. I made the frosting while the cake was baking (33 minutes at 350 degrees). It has ONE POUND of powdered sugar. ONE POUND. lots of butter and lots of cream cheese. and those glorious pecans.... You could seriously eat this frosting with a spoon in front of the t.v. and you would be happy.



SO, here is what you miss... I took the cake out and let it cool completely. Then I turned it over onto a platter and frosted all sides of it. It's much better this way then in the Pyrex dish. And looks prettier, in my opinion.

Then, cut into small pieces so you don't feel so guilty when you have three or four... five or six pieces. :) And maybe share with your co-workers or your ex. This cake is so good you want to share. It causes niceties you didn't think you were capable of.



and then this is what you have left at the end... Everyone loved.

1 comment:

  1. sandy....i made pioneer woman's carrot cake for easter and it was a hit as well...in fact, i made it AGAIN the next day too! love her.

    ReplyDelete