Sweet Sandy B. Bakes

If we are ever to enjoy life, now is the time. Not tomorrow or next year... Today should always be our most wonderful day...

So, let's eat cake!

Notes on my adventure as a mom and baker and life as Sweet Sandy B...

Friday, May 7, 2010

Last minute awesomeness

This is what kept me up all night... I had a last minute request to do an engagement cake on Tuesday evening. I can't turn down a job at this point, ESPECIALLY when it's a type of cake design I haven't done before. Because I already had square cake baked AND because I had 2 nights to get it ready (Wednesday and Thursday) I said sure.

PLUS, the customer was a fan via Facebook (YIPPEE!) and a referral from my beautiful photographer Libby. There was no way I could turn this down.
She sent me an idea of what she was looking for, then I did some research of other ideas, sketched out an idea and she loved it. This is the sketch:



I had ideas in my head of HOW I was going to create the ring band and thankfully at Michael's I found everything I needed (sigh of relief) and I felt pretty prepared for Thursday night when I actually started to decorate. It took me about 3.5 hours from start to finish (not including re-whipping the frosting). This is what it looked like when it was all done:








I also had to make oatmeal raisin cookies for an order. I haven't made this type of cookie in years. I like it way too much- more than chocolate chip cookies (I know, blasphemy) and I could just eat the dough in a bowl and be happy. NO need to bake. I had intents to make the dough on Wednesday night when I was making the frosting and buttercream for the cake, but I didn't have enough oatmeal or raisins. Needless to say I was up all night until the a.m. today. I'm tired... But happy with how the cake turned out. I'm like a mother when I pass the cakes off for delivery. I hover and worry, but also get to the point where I'm like- ok the stress is NOW YOURS during transportation. I won't be there when she picks it up this afternoon, so I will be sitting here anxiety ridden until I hear she gets it home OK.

So, congrats Anna & Dan- hope you enjoy your cake

No comments:

Post a Comment